I subbed in 0.2 oz of Nugget at 60 minutes to correct for our Cascade's lower AA%.
Batch size: 5.5 gallons
Boil volume: 6.5 gallons
Calculated OG: 1.052
Measured FG: 1.012
Calculated ABV: 5.2%
Calculated IBUs (Tinseth): 33
Vol. CO2: 2.6
Yeast: Safale US-05
Pitching temp: 70F
Fermentation high: 70F
Fermentation low: 57F (day 9)
Days in primary: 11
Fermentation vessel: Ale Pail
Lag time: less than 18 hours
6.5 lbs Extra Pale LME
1.5 lbs Munich LME (40% Munich)
0.5 lbs Crystal 10L
4.7 oz of sucrose at bottling
1.0 oz Cascade 5% AA at 60 minutes
0.2 oz Nugget 12.2% AA at 60 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade 5% AA at 30 minutes
0.25 oz Cascade 5% AA at 15 minutes
0.25 oz Cascade 5% at 5 minutes
We cleaned my grandmother's big aluminum stock pot and then boiled water in it for 30 minutes to rebuild an oxide layer. (I'm not sure if I believe in this.) We discarded the water, then added more water for brewing. We treated all the water except the steeping water with an inexact portion of a campden tablet. We steeped the crystal malt in a smaller pot with no bag, then strained the steeping water into the brew pot. I like this method and may use it again.
We added half the extract at the start, and half at 5 minutes. We have continued using this extract-late method for all of our brews. We cooled and poured the wort into the ale pail, and there was airlock activity within 18 hours.
We bottled on 1/15/10. We soon discovered that there were some bottles we couldn't cap, which resulted in a few uncarbonated beers being drunk. In total we'd brewed 53, but only bottled 48. The beers were fully carbed in 2 weeks, and quite tasty. The bitterness is very smooth once it warms up a bit; it peaks about 15 - 30 minutes out of the fridge, so I'd leave it out for 5 before drinking. We're planning on brewing this one again, but replacing Cascade with Amarillo as an experiment.